Literacy KC, in partnership with The Kansas City Public Library and Mid-Continent Public Library, is pleased offer a fully accredited, online high school program to selected, qualified adults via Career Online High School (COHS). We offer a small number of scholarships to adult learners 19 years of age and older who apply and meet the criteria established by our selection committee.
The COHS curriculum is offered entirely online and can be accessed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The program pairs students with Academic Coaches who are available via phone or email to help navigate curriculum options and monitor success.
In addition to a high school diploma, students will also navigate a career track, earning a certificate in one of the following areas:
- Childcare and Education
- Certified Protection Officer (Security Officer)
- Office Management
- Certified Transportation Services (Trucker/Commercial Driver)
- Homeland Security
- General Career Preparation
- Retail Customer Service Skills
- Food Service and Customer Service Skills
Literacy KC and partner institutions offer in-person study groups, social gatherings and feedback sessions to complement the online learning experience over the course of the year. Students who lack devices or connectivity may be eligible to use dedicated space and equipment at Literacy KC or one of our partner institutions for study and class attendance.
To be considered for the program, applicants must be over 19 years old, have a library card from either The Kansas City Public Library or The Mid-Continent Public Library, and show a willingness and ability to dedicate ten hours a week to coursework.
Literacy KC has 19 students with scholarships for COHS and one student recently became our first graduate from the program! For more information about Career Online High School:
- Look for upcoming COHS Information sessions
- Learn More About How the Enrollment Process Works
- Check the Frequently Asked Questions
- Take the short Self-Assessment to see if Career Online High School is right for you!
- Log in and take the two week pre-requisite course